STUDENT INPUT AT THE FAIRFAX STRATEGIC PLANNING FORUM HELD ON FEBRUARY 13, 2003
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE ITEMS/ACTIVITIES THAT THE SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION SHOULD STOP?
1.The administration appears to single out students, particularly those that have had some bad behavorial experiences in the past - They just don't let go of that fact.
2. The administration needs to stop coming up with poor budget plans.
3. They need to stop giving up on programs without really giving them a chance. An example was given where a word processing program was attempted, then dropped. It was felt by the students that this was an important program.
4. Stop with the Adultisms (Teachers believing they are better than the students)
5. Excessive Homework - There is just too much homework which doesn't leave time for students to enjoy life doing things they like to do.
6. Planning Room - This is a big farce and doesn't work. Apparently, from what I can understand, if a student has a problem, he or she is sent to the planning room and made to write a plan on how they are going to improve. Some students use this to get out of classes they dislike and it certainly is not effective.
7. Senior Social Studies - Focus is too limited - it needs to focus more on world issues.
Henry A. Raymond
February 24, 2003